Alpacas and Turtle and Deer. Oh My!
The Birthday Party area is located in the Historic Rivermill barn. Children’s Party Packages come with a children’s meal, drink, donut balls and bag of food to feed the animals, the area is yours for two hours to celebrate.
- Pony rides available every Saturday & Sunday (weather depending) from 9 am to 12 pm $6 per ride
- Face Painting $5 per child (bookings essential & subject to vendor availability)
- Art & Craft $5 per child (bookings essential & subject to vendor availability)
- Balloon Twisting $2 per child (bookings essential & subject to vendor availability)
Contact Historic Rivermill directly for more information and to book.
The scenery, petting zoo and turtle feeding were a highlight for me.
Both toddlers were a little intimidated by the alpacas in the petting zoo as they are definitely not shy and very interested in the feed. And let’s face it – a lot bigger than the children! It was good my husband came with us on this trip. We each took charge of a child which meant we could encourage them to interact with the animals and pick them up if they were afraid whilst in the petting zoo section.
They both loved the turtle feeding and were keen to sit on the edge of the river. I was a lot more wary of this and was poised to leap if they got to close to the edge. Again, great to have hubby there to feed the turtles as we watched and I acted as possible lifeguard.
The river is not fenced off from the cafe which makes it a nice experience but may cause concern for some mum’s if they have little explorers or runners on their hands.
Please don’t take the above as an excuse not to visit the Historic Rivermill instead use it to help you prepare for your trip there and make it the best experience possible i.e. I would recommend taking another adult with you so you can enjoy your time there as well.
The cafe has the most beautiful outlook over the river and is a lovely setting for breakfast, lunch or morning/afternoon tea. The cakes in the case looked divine. They have $9 kid’s meals on both their breakfast and lunch menus. If you prefer and have a picnic blanket with you, order some takeaway and sit by the river if you prefer. Just let the staff know as you order.
Hats and sunscreen are a good idea if you choose to spend a good amount of time in the petting zoo, by the river or on the outside playground.
What to pack (suggestions)
- Hats and Sunscreen
- Snacks and Water Bottles (I always include a snack in case there is a delay with your meals)
- Tablet or phone or restaurant friendly toys for easy distraction / entertainment
- Packet of wipes for spills and toddler clean-up